Monday, March 25, 2013

God Fights Our Battles


It is inevitable that there will be those who Satan uses to fight against us when we take up the banner of Christ.  David knew this well and in Psalm 35 we read of his approach against such people.
I am comforted to read that he didn't just lay down and let it happen.  He actively prayed to his heavenly Father calling upon Him to actively deal with his enemies.  God does a much better job than we could ever dream of.
David asks the LORD (God) to contend and fight against those who contend and fight against him.  He asks God to give them a "dose of their own medicine."
He asks God for "complete" protection.  The shield is large and protects the whole body and the buckler is a smaller shield held in the hand to ward off specifically directed "fiery darts."  God doesn't do things just half way; we are completely protected by His loving hands.
God is not just a God of defense, but He is a God of "offense."  David asks God to "Brandish spear and javelin" against David's enemies.  He is our salvation.
David asks that those who attack us would experience disgrace and shame and that they would be "turned back in dismay" and that they would be like chaff before the wind.  Chaff before the wind gives us the picture of nothingness..no meaning and no effect on anyone or anything.  May those who attack us come to nothingness.  They ultimately come to ruin who fight against God's anointed.
23-28  O LORD, you have seen this; be not silent.  Do not be far from me, O Lord.  Awake, and rise to my defense!  Contend for me, my God and Lord.  Vindicate me in your righteousness, O LORD my God; do not let them gloat over me.  Do not let them think, "Aha, just what we wanted!" or say, "We have swallowed him up."  May all who gloat over my distress be put to shame and confusion; may all who exalt themselves over me be clothed with shame and disgrace.  May those who delight in my vindication shout for joy and gladness; may they always say, "The LORD be exalted, who delights in the well-being of his servant."  My tongue will speak of your righteousness and of your praises all day long. 

No comments:

Post a Comment