Tuesday, December 25, 2012

A Time To Rejoice

The angels rejoiced at the coming of the Christ-child!  Have you rejoiced today?  What does it mean “To rejoice?”
  • It’s difficult to rejoice when you are in pain.
  • It’s difficult to rejoice when you have been betrayed.
  • It’s difficult to rejoice when life seems to be against you on every side.

Why does life seem to work for everyone else but you?

Nevertheless I will rejoice!!

Psalm 104:34  May my meditation be pleasing to him, for I rejoice in the LORD.
Psalm 90:14  Satisfy us in the morning with your steadfast love, that we may rejoice and be glad all our days.
Philippians 4:4  Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice.

Thayer's Definition of rejoice is:
1)      to rejoice, be glad 2) to rejoice exceedingly 3) to be well, thrive 4) in salutations, hail! 5) at the beginning of letters: to give one greeting, salute

I was taken back when I saw that to rejoice also meant to be well or to thrive.  

I must confess that right now I don’t feel very well in an earthly sense, nor am I thriving.

However, life is a matter of living with the right perspective.  One person looks out the window and sees all the ice, snow and bitter cold.  Another person looks out the window and sees all the beauty of a frosty winter day.

One person looks at the beauty of fall colors.  Another person looks at all the hard work of raking leaves and picking up all the yard rubble.

Some parents look at their child and are saddened by what they see.  Other parents look at their child and see God’s hand of love and grace.

It’s all a matter of perspective and looking through the lens of God’s gracious love and mercy.

Don’t despair on what is, but rather rejoice in God's love, care, and provision.

Psalm 31:7  I will be glad and rejoice in thy mercy: for thou hast considered my trouble; thou hast known my soul in adversities;

No comments:

Post a Comment