Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Words Without Wisdom


In cold, snowy weather, and with back pain, I had to walk a long distance to a medical office building where I was met by a sign that said “Employees Only Entrance – Go Around Back.” In frustration I walked back to the car and drove to the rear of the building. I looked for a handicap parking spot, but none were available.

After parking the car in a general spot, I went inside and was greeted by several elderly ladies behind a desk. In a feeble voice, one of the ladies said, “Can I help you?” In excruciating pain, I tried to explain why I was there and who I wanted to see. Everything she said only brought more pain and frustration. Now I know why medical insurance is so high.

Much of our communication is just words without wisdom. We often say to people things like “Can I help you?” “How are you?” “What's new?” or “How's it going?” We seldom expect the person to be honest or want to listen to a long story. We wind up saying such things as “Oh, not much,” “Doing fine,” or “OK.”

Sometimes, I just stare at the person and say something like, “Oh, you don't really want to know.” They usually just stare back and utter something. So many words and so little meaning. Where's the wisdom in all of it?

In Job Ch. 34, Elihu accuses Job of being without knowledge and that his words are without wisdom. Men of understanding will say to me, And a wise man who hears me, ‘Job speaks without knowledge, And his words are without wisdom.”

Elihu didn't have a clue as to what was going on in Job's life. If there was anyone who spoke a lot of words and had no wisdom, it was Elihu.

In wisdom, Job's response to God was:
42:2-6 “I know that You can do all things, And that no purpose of Yours can be thwarted. ‘Who is this that hides counsel without knowledge?’ Therefore I have declared that which I did not understand, Things too wonderful for me, which I did not know.” ‘Hear, now, and I will speak; I will ask You, and You instruct me.’ “I have heard of You by the hearing of the ear; But now my eye sees You; Therefore I retract, And I repent in dust and ashes.”

God doesn't allow pain and suffering without a purpose. Can we bear up under life's times of crises without becoming bitter and resentful towards God? Job was willing to listen to God's wisdom. Hearing God's wisdom takes a repentant heart. Pride hinders a listening ear.

Getting on the elevator to leave the medical building I was joined by three ladies who in unison said, “Hi, how are you?” They exited on the next floor down saying, again in unison “Bye.” Reaching the 1st floor, the elevator door opened and a voice from, who knows where, said, “Have a nice day.”

Overall the experience was pleasant, but sadly lacking in meaningful wisdom....just a bunch of words. To turn it into a wise experience, all it would have taken was for someone to have said, “The weather may be bad, but it will get better,” or, “I see you're hurting, I pray you will get better.” Ah, what wisdom and an encouragement that would have been.



No comments:

Post a Comment